Thursday, August 18, 2011

Too Much Dill Biscuits

This is not a food blog, I promise. I am a woodturner, and I blog about woodturning. Well, when I manage to blog at all......

This past year I have been embarrassingly lax in writing to my blog. To snap out of it, I gave myself permission to blog about whatever subject hits me at the moment. At this moment, it's food.

On to my subject -  Too Much Dill Biscuits



How much is too much? Dill is in season here. It's a short season, but the dill plants make up for that with abundance. A woodturning friend, Katherine Kowalski, (whose gardening abilities make me "green" with envy) gave me some of her dill harvest.

It was A Lot Of Dill. Even as much as I love dill, I would be hard pressed to use it all up before it spoiled. My challenge: To see how much dill is "too much" in a recipe.

Biscuits are fast to make, and David and I both love them. Great with dinner or as a snack the next day. Any biscuit recipe will do, but here's my current favorite:

Gluten Free and Grain Free Biscuits:
This recipe is adapted from Elana Amsterdam's website, Elana's Pantry. check it out for more great gluten & grain free recipes.

2 1/2 cups organic blanched almond flour
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup yogurt, kefir, milk, whey, or other liquid (I make my own raw goats milk yogurt)
3 eggs
1 teaspoon lemon juice

Directions:
Mix dry ingredients
Mix wet ingredients
Combine the 2
Drop by appropriate amounts onto greased baking sheet (or stoneware baking pan like I used). They don't rise much, so "appropriate" approximates intended finished size.
Bake at 350ºF for 15 - 20 minutes, or until golden brown on top and done in the middle.

I added 2 tablespoons of finely chopped dill leaves and flowers to a half-recipe (1 1/4 c flour). I don't think it was too much. Might be a waste of dill, though. The flavor would probably be dill-y enough with half that much. Great with lots of butter!

You can see from the photo that splitting the recipe didn't work perfectly. It's hard to split 3 eggs in half, and I also used too much yogurt. The results "spread" more than I wanted. Still tasted great, though.

The first time I made these, we had them with a baked pasture-raised chicken cooked with an excessive amount of dill and green onions (also from Katherine's garden). Oh, and did I mention massive quantities of real butter???

There is a tie-in to woodturning, here. In my pursuit of the artistic side of working in wood, I like to exercise my Right Brain in the kitchen. Cooking is creative, the ingredients are inexpensive (compared to exotic burl wood), results are immediate. It is something that must be done everyday anyway, if we want to eat a healthy diet. Cooking is a way to improve my woodturning skills! Who would have thought??

Thank you to Katherine for the garden delights, and to Elana for grain free biscuits! Now, off to do some woodturning........


1 comment:

  1. Welcome back-you can make some sweet-
    It looks beautiful-
    Egill

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! I'd love to hear what you're thinking!